Change of address
If you move you must report it by using the online service within five days.
You should not notify the municipality of your change of address more than one month before moving.
You must deregister from the national register if you move abroad. If you are moving abroad for less than six months, you can retain your registered address unless you rent out or lend your house or flat. If staying abroad for longer than six months, you must always deregister from the national register.
Moving within Denmark
- You must report your move to the municipality you are moving to.
- You must report your move within two weeks using the online service (opens in a new window).
- You need a NemID to use the online service. Read more about NemID here (opens in a new window).
- Remember to report electricity, water and district heating meter readings when moving.
Rules and fines
If you forget to report or give the wrong information about your move, you will be fined by the municipality.
- If you lack to report your move within two weeks, you will get a fine of DKK 500.
- If you forget to annul a move that has been cancelled, you will get a fine of DKK 600.
- If you deliver wrong information or lack to give mandatory information about your move, you will get a fine of DKK 1200.
Moving away from Aarhus
If you or your family have to move from an address in Aarhus to another address in Denmark, you need to use the online service at your future municipality or visit borger.dk (opens in a new window) and choose the munnicipality you are moving to.
Moving to or within Aarhus
If you are moving to or within Aarhus you can use our online service (opens in a new window). Remember to report your new address within five days from the day you move.
If you are moving to Denmark
You must contact Citizens’ Services in person. Find more information about the International Citizen Service (ICS) at www.icitizen.dk (opens in a new window).
Please note that Citizens' Services two times every year offers help to students at their educational institution.